IRS Tax Form 2290 Refund Claims on Low Mileage Vehicles

The Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax claims on a low mileage vehicle, for which taxes are paid full but the vehicle is not used more than the mileage use limit of 5,000 miles or less for a general vehicle and 7,500 miles or less for an agricultural vehicle. Use Form 8849 and attach Schedule 6 to claim the refund owe from the IRS.

Usually Form 2290 is used to figure and pay the annual tax due on a highway motor vehicles which is used during the period July and June, with a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more. Even use Form 2290 to claim this low mileage credit for tax paid on vehicles that is driven well within the allowable mileage limits of 5,000 miles or less (7,500 miles or less for agricultural vehicles), while reporting a taxable vehicle. Which can be included along with the Form 2290 while reporting electronically or these claims can be made using the Federal Excise Tax Refund Claims Form 8849 and Schedule 6 return.

Once a suspended vehicle exceeds the mileage use limit, the tax becomes due. Mileage use limit means the use of a vehicle on public highways 5,000 miles or less (7,500 miles or less for agricultural vehicles). The mileage use limit applies to the total mileage a vehicle is used during a period, regardless of the number of owners. When this is not reached with in a tax period, then the vehicle is termed as Low Mileage Vehicle.

Use IRS Tax Form 8849 – Schedule 6 return to claim a refund on your 2290 claims. Which would be on;

  1. Low Mileage Vehicle Claims
  2. Sold, Destroyed or Stolen Vehicle Claims
  3. Overpayment of Tax

Low Mileage Vehicle Claims:

When you’re about to report a Refund Claim on a Vehicle, that is tagged as Low Mileage Used Vehicle you need to have the following handy;

  1. The Vehicle Identification Number
  2. The Tax Period and Date of Filing
  3. Taxable Gross Weight of the Vehicle
  4. Type of Vehicle, is that a Logging Vehicle

Please note the Low Mileage Claim cannot be claimed in-between a tax period or until end of June, only for a previous tax year or period this claim is allowed. In other words, you need to wait until the tax period gets over, that is till end of June to make a claim or this claim is processed only when it is made for one on the previous tax periods. IRS accepts claims which is within the 3 years and not more than that.

IRS would validate the claim and process it, the refund is paid as a check and sent to the mailing address in their records.

You can electronically claim this refund so that it would expedite the process and you can expect your check within 45 days upon acceptance. IRS might be sending you a formal letter asking for more clarity if required, you may acknowledge it accordingly.

For more information on these claims talk to our tax experts at (866) 245 – 3918 or write to us at, you can also connect on a LIVE Chat from

Start a claim now

ThinkTrade Inc.
233 Wilson Pike Cir, Ste 2B,
Brentwood, TN-37027.

Toll Free: +1 - 866 - 245 - 3918
Outside US: +1 623-399-4816/17/18
Fax: +1 866 - 256 - 9859